As you probably have heard, Dr. Young announced last week that he will be leaving West End to become the principal at Percy Priest Elementary School. We are grateful for his leadership the last three years and wish him all the best in his new position!
Tomorrow, Monday, June 15, at 4:30 PM, MNPS will be hosting a virtual community meeting about the search for West End’s next principal. Learn from district leaders how MNPS searches for, interviews, and selects principals. West End staff and family input will be important throughout this process. If you cannot make the live meeting, you will be able to watch the recorded session.
Parents are welcome to share input via email at firstname.lastname@example.org; be sure to put “West End Principal Search” in the subject line. The selection committee will be particularly interested in learning which leadership qualities our community values most in a principal (see below for examples) and in identifying what makes our school–and this position–unique.
Leadership Qualities in a Principal–Which Are Most Important to You?
- Communicate and inspire a shared vision
- Oriented toward achievement and results
- Demonstrate instructional expertise
- Develop, support, and manage people
- Build authentic and reciprocal partnerships
- Creates a culture of belonging
- Demonstrates problem solving and strategic management
- Develop structures to actively engage families in the education of their children
- Identify problems, analyze root causes, and develop effective resolution strategies
- Promotes high student expectations
- Communicates effectively with all stakeholders
- Builds quality feedback loops between stakeholders
- Sustain shared accountability for instructional decisions targeting achievement and growth goals
- Perform all budgetary responsibilities with accuracy, transparency, and in the best interest of students and staff